The KUMC Student Governing Council Travel Awards
are made available to support KUMC students who wish to enrich their education, develop their future career and help the University of Kansas Medical Center grow by attending medical and health care related conferences.
- Travel award can financially support conference attendance at the local, national, and international level.
- Travel award cannot financially support interviewing or clinical expenditures.
- Maximum amount to be award = $500
- The awards are distributed four times a year: August, November, February, April. Applications are due on the 1st of each of these months.
- A student can only be awarded once a year (academic year – August to May)
- A student can be full time or part time.
- At time of travel award use, the student must still be enrolled as a student (or will be enrolled in the fall if travel occurs during the summer).
- Financial award is distributed by means of a reimbursement check. Once a student returns from their travel, receipts may be submitted to the Office of Student Life. At that point, the Office of Student Life will write a reimbursement check to the awarded student equaling the total amount paid (if less than the awarded amount) or awarded (if more than the awarded amount).
- Applications may be submitted online here: http://tinyurl.com/SGCTravel
Student Governing Council Committee:
- An SGC Finance/Travel Committee will promote and allocate the travel awards.
- Eight students from multiple programs plus one chair will make up the committee.
- The Director of Student Life or his/her designee shall work in conjuction with this committee.
- When is the application due?
- The award to be distributed four times a year: August, November, February, April. The application is due on the 1st of each month.
- Does the award application require a letter of recommendation?
- Yes. The application is due by the same corresponding deadline as the award application.
- Who can write the letter of recommendation?
- The letter of recommendation can be written by anyone of your choosing. Here are our recommendations, however: school advisor, school dean, faculty member, professional mentor, and student organization advisor
- The application requires an advisor’s name. Who can serve as an advisor?
- Your advisor should be your school advisor, school dean, or student organization advisor.
- If I am not awarded the full $500, can I reapply?
- No, a student can only win the award one time during the academic year, regardless of amount awarded.
- If I apply in August, do I have to use the award before the next deadline (November)?
- No, the award can be used at any point during the academic year. The only stipulation is that the awarded money must be used while you are a student. For example, you cannot be awarded funds in April, graduate in May, and use the funds in July.
- Can a hard copy of the application be submitted?
- Can the letter of recommendation be submitted as a hard copy?
- No, the letter of recommendation must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the required date.
- Can I utilize the awarded funds towards traveling for clinicals or interviewing?
- No, the awarded funds can only be used towards academic pursuits. We require the funds to be used in the one of the following ways: conference attendance, local or national presentation, etc.
- Who awards the fund?
- The SGC Finance/Travel Committee reviews applications and allocates the travel awards. Eight students plus one chair make up the committee.
- Who provides the award funds?
- The SGC Travel Award funds come from the KU Bookstore Corporation. A portion of profit is designated to be given directly to the student body.
- If I am awarded funds, how do I collect my award money?
- Financial award is distributed by means of a reimbursement check. Once a student has returned from their travel, receipts may be submitted to the Office of Student Life. At that point, the Office of Student Life will write a reimbursement check to the awarded student equaling the total amount paid (if less than the awarded amount) or awarded (if more than the awarded amount). Reimbursement checks are cut weekly.
- Who can I direct further questions to?
- Any questions regarding the funding can be directed to email@example.com.
Questions? Please email SGC@kumc.edu.